Paint and Purls

Friday, July 28, 2006

All Purls, No Paint

Even after getting inspired by seeing paintings of one of my fellow book club members, I still have not started a new watercolor project. I have a couple of ideas floating around in my head, but can't seem to get motivated to put pen/brush to paper. Maybe I need to come up with a series of small, simple designs just to 'kickstart' myself back into painting. Actually, I started a running program 3 weeks ago, and that's how I'm getting myself to keep up with the running. I'm taking baby steps, and it seems to be working!

In the meantime, here's a (not so good) photo of a finished piece from late last year:



This was the first piece I chose to do when I started lessons last fall -- speaking of starting with something simple! This is the same way I started knitting over 20 years ago -- saw a pattern for a sweater in one of my mother's magazines. I ran out and bought yarn and needles, then proceeded to knit a sweater. No scarf, not a dishrag, not even a simple hat! I just jumped right in with both feet and never looked back.

Speaking of knitting, I ran into some confusion with the cabled halter pattern. After sitting around scratching my head for a while, I decided to make a chart of that part of the pattern in Excel to try to figure it out. Seems to have worked! I'm not sure it's 100% correct as the designer intended, but I think it will work. I've started the neck and shoulder shaping, so it shouldn't be too much longer before it's finished. Hopefully, it won't end up like most of my other projects lately -- sitting around 98% completed and just needing to be blocked and sewn. The word of the day is M-O-T-I-V-A-T-I-O-N. Gotta have it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home