Paint and Purls

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Running . . . In Circles . . .

I don’t seem to be able to get anything accomplished these days. At least not knitting- or art-wise. I have spent some time on the SO’s Packers scarf, but haven’t even swatched for the Kimono sweater. I’ve also been thinking of finding a pattern for a beautiful lace shawl which I could knit up for either my grandmother or mom for Christmas. Will make a run to my LYS and/or bookstore this weekend to see what I can find.


As far as artwork, I keep thinking I should do something very simple like an apple or pear, but yet I find myself drawn to this photo I took at the SE Flower Show earlier this year.
I’ve ‘doodled’ some value study sketches of parts and pieces of the image on sticky notes at my desk, and will probably do a complete value study over the weekend. I just need to carve out a few hours to sit quietly and work on this. (Yeah, right!)

I also saw a painting I rea
lly liked at a gallery last night. The artist is Shu-Wu Lin. I liked the simplicity of the piece, and the subtlety of the figure. I get a sense of gracefulness from the position of the hand, and really like how you get the idea of a nude without being graphic. I’d like to try something along these lines, but will probably wait. I have signed up for a figure drawing class which starts in a few weeks. This should be interesting because I’m so sl-o-o-o-o-w when it comes to drawing. I have to re-do and re-do sections until I get it right (or at least recognizable). The SO is also taking the class. He’s so talented, he doesn’t need a ‘class’, but wants the ‘model time’ the class will give. I’ve asked him to sit across the room from me so I won’t be so intimidated by how great his drawings look next mine!

The gallery opening last night was for an artist by the name of Steven Kenny at
Trinity Gallery. Very cool stuff. I would have loved to have had the opportunity to hear him explain the thought behind some of the pieces. Seems there is a lot of symbolism with the birds and human-tree-oids. Perhaps alluding to the connection we all have with nature? Maybe the birds represent the human spirit? I’ll have to do some research on him to learn more. If you get a chance, go check out the exhibit. This one is definitely worth the effort as the paintings are not only beautiful, but interesting.

Well, this has become a long-winded post! Speaking of winded, I ran for 2 miles this morning! Without walking! No paramedics, either! Okay, so it wasn’t quite 2, but 1.85 according to mapmyrun.com. But 20 consecutive minutes is pretty amazing when I realize that I couldn’t run for 60 consecutive seconds just 7 short weeks ago! This program is actually working. Maybe I’ll be able to run that 5K in October after all. {LOL}



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home